Wendi Friesen CCHT
certified clinical Hypnotherapist, master hypnotist, trainer
916-933-0700
877-68-HAPPY

Hypnosis Forum
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit our Website www.wendi.com     Click here to bookmark this page

Visit one of our other forums:
Hypnosis Forum
Thin Forum
Alcohol Forum
InnerCircle Forum

A Smattering of Ideas -- Part I

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hypnosis Forum Forum Index -> Requests for new hypnosis CDs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: A Smattering of Ideas -- Part I Reply with quote

Here's some ideas I posted on the Inner Circle Forum...
-----

I have a great many ideas for hypnosis CDs and individual audio tracks, however, and wanted to share a few of them with you.

One of these ideas occurred while I was thinking about two short but powerful items designed to improve reading skills. One was an article on
overcoming remedial reading problems written by Dr. Win Wenger. The other was a taped program called Double Your Reading Speed in 10 Minutes by Paul Scheele. I believe these two items could form the basis of a powerful system for improving reading, one which you could sell in cooperation with Mr. Scheele's Learning Strategies Corporation or by yourself. (Depending on how you wanted to approach things.)

I know you are already aware of Dr. Wenger's work, and have in fact brilliantly integrated some of his techniques into your hypnosis programs. You may be familiar with Paul Scheele's PhotoReading system. Obviously, there are differing opinions about the value of Mr. Scheele's work (Dr. Wenger is quite impressed by it, others less so), but this particular tape is extremely impressive in its ability to do exactly what it advertises -- doubling your reading speed in just the ten minutes it takes to listen to and use the tape.

Not only does this tool deserve greater exposure, but I believe its value could be substantially enhanced through the judicious use of a followup hypnosis session.

Why? Because Scheele's tape improves reading by getting the user to improve three basic aspects of their reading: their "physical posture," their "mental posture" and the specific way in which they take in words. I have tested this product not only on myself but also on at least three others (in less than ideal conditions) and all of us experienced impressive gains in our reading speed and ease of reading. All of these people were good readers to begin with (indeed, I would say three of us were habitual if not obsessive readers), so the changes in our reading style were not "remedial" improvements irrelevant to advanced readers.

I believe these basic techniques could be further enhanced by hypnosis -- for the obvious reason that when you want to change someone's habits permanently from something negative to something powerful, hypnosis is the easiest way to go. You have already experimented with CDs to improve people's posture, so I sincerely doubt that ingraining several basic habits along those lines will prove all that challenging to you. I can describe the basic changes prescribed on the tape for you, if you find you're interested in developing this kind of product.

Indeed, to be blunt, you could easily order this tape yourself and duplicate the essence of his ideas in your own enhanced reading tape or CD -- I doubt he patented that particular system before publishing his audiotape. But there are reasons why working with Paul Scheele might prove more rewarding. Simply stated, not only could working with you open him up to a much larger audience of Wendi.Com customers, but by producing a reading CD in concert with his organization, you could introduce his customer base to your line of products. This kind of cross pollination might actually prove more valuable to you both than the CD itself, though I think you could create an amazing learning tool. What's more, his tape is an excellent product, and there's no need to reinvent the wheel. Dr. Wenger has jointly produced at least one or two major products with Paul Scheele (The Genius Code, for example) and seems to be quite pleased with the fruits of their occasional partnership.

With regards to Dr. Wenger's article, found here:

http://www.winwenger.com/remedial.htm

I believe you could further enhance the value of this recording by making it about more than just doubling the reading speed of the "average reader." People who are interested in, say, reading help for their kids might be concerned because their child has a reading disability. Dr. Wenger's article covers two fundamental reasons in particular (short windedness and impaired eye coordination) why children may be having trouble reading. He offers several exercises/activities that could improve these factors and otherwise enhance their reading. Your hypnosis, however, might be able to make great progress by helping kids to overcome either or both of these problems.

I can imagine a hypnosis session in which a kid, lying on the grass on a lawn in the evening, lazily but easily follows a wildly buzzing lightning bug or other continually-glowing insect (or tiny star, or miniature UFO) in the air above their face. This could be part of the hypnotic induction... possibly one relaxing them into the beautiful garden often found in Dr. Wenger's Borrowed Genius exercise, which in this case could be a very specific Borrowed Genius session in which the child merged with a genius with say, exceptional reading skills, unusually effective eye tracking and who is very "long winded." =)

You could also use a hypnotic version of Dr. Wenger's "Hot Faucets" technique (found in Beyond OK, but which I could also copy from the Imagestream list archive (where I believe I once typed it in)) for freeing up tension in and around the eyes to help erase any blockages that are disrupting the free movement of a user's eyes. His Flick Gazing method (essentially locking your gaze on a specific object for about half a second before immediately locking on to something different, and doing this for 10, 15 or 20 minutes) might also help with eye tracking. (Explained more extensively in paragraphs 3 through 7, here:

http://www.winwenger.com/archives/part16.htm )

I don't know if his Velvety-Smooth Breathing would help on this front, but it probably couldn't help. http://www.winwenger.com/velvety.htm (You, of course, seem to know that technique well already.) He also has a method for imagining that you're drawing in your breath through your lower body that apparently helps ease cardio-vascular exercises. Of course, the obvious thing to do with shortness of breath is to practice holding your breath, and I suppose there's only so much that can be done through hypnosis on that front. But I suspect that creating the suggestion in a user's mind that they had very good breath-holding skills and teaching them to breathe slowly and deeply as a matter of course could be quite useful here.

And finally, you could probably include a paper insert not only detailing any instructions you might have for your latest customer, but also perhaps including a copy of that article by Dr. Wenger, for any parents who wanted to practice those other techniques to help their children progress. Given that Dr. Wenger has already placed this piece on the Web for free, and his generous nature, I doubt he would charge you much more than some clear contact info for his site and foundation in exchange for including it.

Indeed, probably the best thing you could do in such a project would be to ask him directly what his ideas were. WWenger101@aol.com He is extremely approachable, and is generally delighted to be involved in anything that might help lots of kids improve their learning.

I should probably add, in addition to gaining access to each other's customer base through cross-advertising, you could likely make the above product kid-friendly enough to be used with a fair range of kids -- which means you could probably sell this CD as a learning enrichment tool as well as a remedial learning aid for kids, say, 11 or 12 and up. This would enable Wendi.Com to branch out into the children's educational market -- with followup products possible, as you'd assuredly be the only person in the world selling hypnotically induced Borrowed Genius sessions to kids. This aspect of the product could be much more important than its entire adult market, as you market to gifted kids, reading-challenged and learning disabled kids, home-schooled kids, academically-ambitious kids, etc. Concerned parents with reading-challenged kids could be a particularly useful niche market, as they're apt to be desperate enough to get past the common skittishness many people feel towards hypnosis. Which could help popularize your product through word of mouth, as well as expose lots of new customers to your company.

If you have any questions or comments on this idea, please send them right to me. I would be happy to help you initiate this project, and to send you links or typed up copies of any of the above information you needed.

And please remember, this is but one of many ideas I would like to share with you, assuming you see any glimmer of creativity in the above ideas.

I remain your humble servant... =)

Warm greetings,
Ralph
Neurotech Student

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is also mine. Feedback is very much welcome. Thank you. =)

Ralph
Future Imperative -- A broad look at human enhancement, from gene therapy to accelerated learning, from neural implants to smart drugs, from posthuman evolution to the wildest flights of human imagination.
http://futureimperative.blogspot.com
Neurotech Student

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also add that your product could also incorporate Dr. Wenger's 3x3 reading enhancement technique, described here:

http://futureimperative.blogspot.com/2005/04/speed-reading-ultrasimplified-al-easy.html

This involves describing images aloud to a live listener or a recorder, but could be easily managed under various alternative circumstances -- a track you heard sitting up at your desk just before launching into reading, etc.

The important thing, again, is making use of a very simple but powerful technique whose main drawback is that people simply have to make use of it. In other words, forming this habit in the first place is the key.

Ralph
Future Imperative -- A broad look at human enhancement, from gene therapy to accelerated learning, from neural implants to smart drugs, from posthuman evolution to the wildest flights of human imagination.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph,

The 3X3 technique that you mention- does that refer to image streaming, or something more? What does the 3x3 refer to?
I made a few sessions yesterday that bring the reading skills to a more visual experience, putting the reader into the material, experiencing it from the inside to improve comprehension.

Can you tell me more about the Paul Sheele method as well? Is there something that could be easily adapted or created in a hypnosis session?

Wendi
Neurotech Student

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, haven't checked the forum in a while. I'm afraid I've been working on that Ericksonian time-distortion-hypnosis thing with Dr. Wenger (finally brought it up with him), and thus typing up a lot of notes in my spare time. I just noticed this query.

I think the three techniques taught in Double Your Reading Speed in 10 Minutes could be adapted very easily to a hypnosis session. Essentially, he's training you to do three simple things before reading that substantially improve the average person's reading speed. He's helping you with your physical posture/ holding of the book, your mental attitude and the way you're looking over the words. You can get a copy of the CD here if you want to look over the techniques. It's only a few bucks.

The thing is, these things are one, easily taught, and two, would be much more effective if someone experienced a hypnosis session right after learning them; a session that helped ingrain them into your unconscious habits.

After all, the biggest problem with most accelerated learning/ human enhancement techniques that work is... nobody uses them. Very Happy

The 3x3 refers to the perceived tripling of reading speed and the tripling of your comprehension and depth of understanding as a result of using this method.

The 3x3 process can be summed up in a paragraph; no, wait, make that three. From my blog, here...

"Second, there's an interesting accelerated reading tip out there from Dr. Win Wenger that involves using his Image Streaming technique (described in full, with backup procedures in case you have trouble getting your imagery going, here, and with a boiled down version of the technique, with my review, here). Essentially, with Image Streaming you close your eyes and describe aloud whatever pops into your mind's eye in all five senses (sight, hearing, taste, smell, touch) as quickly as you can to an external listener -- either a tape recorder or (preferably) a live listener other than yourself.

"The basic application of Image Streaming to accelerated reading is simple. 'Before you even go in to reading the journal article, manuscript, text chapter or whatever, ask your Image Streaming faculties to show you an image which 'somehow will make everything in this paper come together for me and make sense to me.' Look in and see what that image is. Whether you immediately understand that image's meaning, just hang it on the back walls of your mind and plow into that reading. You will discover, with some amazement the first few times you achieve this effect, that everything in that paper does come together and make sense for you -- in less than a third of the time it'd ordinarily take you to work through that reading! -- And with many times the meaningful understanding that you would have otherwise experienced from that reading!'

"I personally have found this technique to be very effective in increasing both my reading speed and understanding. If you are unfamiliar with Image Streaming, you may want to practice it so that you have a good handle on that skill before you try to apply it to your reading. Dr. Wenger suggests testing the method by Image Streaming for 10 minutes a day for ten days (preferably with a live partner), and then deciding, on the basis of whatever gains in mental clarity you've noticed by that time, whether you wish to continue using the technique. I would imagine developing at least that much facility with Image Streaming before using it to enhance your reading would be advisable. Just a suggestion."

This one would actually be a tad bit tougher to incorporate than the Double Your Reading Speed material. Or rather, not so hard to incorporate, but harder to duplicate without making changes.

Essentially, you'd either have to train people to use basic Image Streaming and then to use it for one minute before reading any book, or else bring them into a similar state of imagery through hypnosis (as you do in your Borrowed Genius tracks) and then cause them to apply that imagery to drawing out a relevant image for the book they're about to read.

Or both. In fact, you might try "showing them how" with your hypnosis, and then have, as bonus tracks at the end, a verbal description of how to do it without hypnosis, for any ambitious customer who might want to be able to use 3x3 without your CDs. Training which would, incidentally, strengthen their ability to use 3x3 through your hypnosis tracks. Though of course, s/he would still need a recorder or a friend. =)

Ralph
Neurotech Student

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I should add that Dr. Wenger prefers to read fiction and a lot of non-fiction slowly and thoroughly, the first apparently to relish it, the second to silently argue with it.

Nevertheless, for someone who wants to read through non-fiction that isn't particularly important to them (like schoolwork) or who just wants to read their normal fiction and non-fiction a little faster with a lot more clarity, these methods would be very useful. Even if they do choose to linger over the material.

Ralph
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hypnosis Forum Forum Index -> Requests for new hypnosis CDs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: